Laddu.. What can I say, I love Laddus so much. Laddu is the single most famous sweet like by Indians. If you ask what the staple sweet of Indians is, you know the answer now. We love these little sweet flour balls so much that we call our loved ones Laddu..
We have Laddus for all occasions. Naturally, there are different styles of laddus made. The recipe that I am going to present here is the most famous one, the Boondi Laddu.
I have to tell about a little challenge here. When my husband and I were talking about what recipes to post next, I proposed Boondi Laddu. I wanted to gift my near and dear ones a box full of Laddus for Deepavali, a festival of lights that is fast approaching. My husband, how mean of him, doubted my ability. So, by the time my Laddu came home from work today, a box full of little sweet Laddus awaited him. He got surprised and gave me a sweet one.. 😉
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 tbsp of chopped Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp of warm water
- 1 Cup of Gram flour
- 1 tbsp of sooji rava
- ½ cup of water
- Food coloring,Optional (Orange color)
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- ½ Cup of water
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp of edible camphor,Optional
- Place the flour and sooji in a sifter and sieve it well to remove any lumps. Add in some water and mix well to smooth batter. The batter should be little thinner like dosa batter. If too thin, it might end up flat or If it was too thick, it won't fall off the ladle. Set this batter aside before you make the syrup.
- Place sugar and water in a wide pan. Mix well till sugar dissolves well.Bring to a boil and simmer it for about 10 mins until it forms one string consistency. Now add in the cardamom and camphor for flavor. Set the syrup aside
- Heat some oil in a pan for deep frying. Do not heat it on high flame, just medium high is enough. If you have a boondi ladle (You can use it ) or I have used a steel strainer with medium sized holes in it .Take some batter and pour it over the ladle. Using a spoon tap off the ladle ,so boondi will fall through the holes. Fry them on medium heat until soft not crispy.Drain the boondi on tissue paper . Repeat the same and fry all boondis and set aside.
- Mix all fried boondis into sugar syrup with spoon or by hand (if its slightly warm) . Mix chopped cashew nuts and raisins (Optional ). Apply some warm water in hand and take few boondis and try to make a ball by pressing them with hand. Repeat the same for all laddu's. Arrange all laddu's in a plate or bowl.Try making the same sized balls.