Oooh… the weather is chilly. I just returned from gym in a mix of heavy wind and rain. I wish I could sit by a fire relaxing and enjoying a hot cup of chai and a few s’mores, while reading a great cook book. Although I would love to have a fire going on, my neighbors and my landlord may not take it so kindly. For now, I think I will stick to having chai and s’mores. How about having both of them together as in, Chai Spiced S’mores?
For those of us living in apartments but want to enjoy s’mores, there is a very easy way to fire roast marsh mellows. Here is how – Just use your oven in Broil mode. I have been having s’mores this way for quite sometime now and trust me, they are as good as fire roasted marsh mellows.
I am off to relaxing with a plate full of Chai Spiced Chocolate S’mores with my latest edition of Bon Appetit. See you later guys! Till then, stay warm and have fun.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon loose chai tea leaves
- 16 honey graham cracker squares (2½-inch squares)
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows or 16 jumbo marshmallows
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the chai tea leaves, stir, remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Return the tea-infused cream to medium heat until just simmering. Pour the cream through a fine mesh strainer set over the bowl of chocolate. Shake the bowl to evenly distribute the cream and let stand 5 minutes to melt the chocolate. Stir until very smooth and let the chocolate cool to room temperature. Discard the tea leaves.
- To make the s'mores in the oven, set an oven rack 6 to 8 inches from the broiler and preheat the broiler.
- Put about 8 graham cracker squares on a baking sheet and spread ½ teaspoon of the cooled chocolate over the entire surface of each square. Arrange mini marshmallows on each chocolate covered graham, be sure to cover the cracker completely. Spread about ½ teaspoon of the chocolate on each remaining graham crackers and set them aside.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and toast the marshmallows under the broiler until deep golden brown, about 30 seconds. (DO NOT leave the oven - keep an eye on the marshmallows - they toast very quickly).
- Remove the s'mores from the oven and top with the chocolate covered grahams, chocolate side down. Press lightly to spread the chocolate to the edges. Let the s'mores cool for 1 to 2 minutes before devouring.
- Repeat with the remaining marshmallows and serve while still warm.
Leave a comment