On a boring sunday, I was browsing through the august edition of bon appetit magazine. I was amazed to see its summer recipes and menus for parties in beach. While surfing through the book, this cake recipe totally drew my attention. I love baking with fresh spices like cardamom, cinnamon. They add a fresh flavor to the cakes and breads and my whole kitchen fills with a freshly braked aroma of the spices, it simply takes me to a different world.
This recipe did call for a specific cream called creme fraiche, which wasn’t available here . So I used sour cream as an alternative.The part that gives this cake its light texture is beating the butter and sugar well so do not skip this part. It was so soft and moist .
Cardamom Pound Cake
- 3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, room tempertature , plus more for greasing pan
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Ground Cardamom
- 3/4 tsp of Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of creme fraiche plus more for serving (I substituted it with sour cream)
- 1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 3 Large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of almond extract
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 Def F. Butter a 9*5*3″ inch loaf pan; line bottom and long sides with a strip of parchment paper,leaving overhang.Butter parchment and dust with flour,tapping out any excess.
- Whisk Baking powder,cardamom,salt,and 2 cups flour in a mixing bowl;set aside. Whisk milk and 1/2 cup creme fraiche (sour cream) in a small bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat sugar and 3/4 cup of butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy,about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions and scrapping down sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula, then add vanilla and almond extracts.
- Reduce the speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with creme fraiche (sour cream) mixture in 2 additions, combining with dry ingredients; beat until just combines. Scrape batter into prepared pan,smooth top and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake cake,rotating halfway through,until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean,55-65 minutes. (Tent with foil if browning too quickly)
- Transfer pan to wire rack and let cake cool for 15 minutes in the pan itself. Using parchment overhang,gently remove cake from pan and transfer to rack; let cool.
- Slice cake and serve with freshly sliced peaches (or any fruit).